Original vintage photo of 'I am the King' Balti House
The following recipe is a for a classic, aromatic Chicken and Mushroom Balti, a Birmingham Balti house favourite! Inspired by 'I Am The King's' recipe, a restaurant that was always packed to the rafters in the Balti boom years and this recipe contains a 'secret ingredient' - Tandoori Masala.
Ensure you always use the freshest spices for the best end result- buy whole spices and grind them down or purchase spices in smaller packs to use up quickly.
Our Garam Masala powder is award winning and is roasted, ground and blended by hand.
'I am the King' Chicken and Mushroom Balti
300g Chicken and leg pieces, pre-cooked.4 tbsp Veg Oil
1/2 Fresh green chilli, finely chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
2cm Fresh ginger, peeled and grated
3 garlic cloves crushed
1/4 tsp salt
1tps of tumeric powder
1 handful of dried methi
30g button mushrooms, sliced
1 tbsp chopped coriander
1/2 tbsp tandoori masala powder
Pinch of Garam Masala powder
1 to 2 Ladles of Balti Base sauce
* In your Balti bowl, pre cook your chicken in 1 tbsp of veg oil, be careful not to overcook. Set aside.
* Heat the remaining oil in your bowl over moderate/high heat. Fry chillies, tomatoes, garlic and ginger for 1 minute, taking care not to burn.
* Return your chicken to the pan, adding your tumeric and salt. Cook, stirring more or less constantly for 2/3 minutes.
* Turn the heat down to moderate, add your methi and 1 1/2 ladles of Balti sauce. Cook for 3/4 minutes, adding a little more Balti sauce if it should start to stick.
* Add sliced mushrooms and corinader. Cook for 2/3minutes, until the mushrooms are as you like them.
* Stir in the tandoori masala powder.
* Serve sizzling sprinkled with more fresh coriander and pinch garam masala powder to give a lovely aroma on serving.
* Accompany this dish with fresh garlic naan.